Can you feel the spring coming?
Getting ready for some warmer days? We even took our jumpers off today! But winter has its upsides as well, and one of them, believe it or not, is swimming in cold water!
I'm sure everyone knows by now that it's undoubtedly good for you. Swimming in cold water has been gaining lots of popularity in last few years. Are you a fan? Well you might be after reading this.
Here is why someone would voluntarily submerge their body in chilly water.
- It improves your immune system by boosting the white cell count.
- It raises your levels of endorphins to reduce pain and stress.
- You will burn far more calories as the heart pumps faster and your body works extra hard to keep you warm.
- It enhances your circulation by flushing veins, arteries and capillaries.
- It increases your libido by boosting estrogen and testosterone production.
- It decreases stress by reducing the adrenaline-driven sympathetic part of our nervous system and increasing the the para-sympathetic activity that calms us down.
You will want to do it again
With repeated exposure your body will gradually adapt to the cold temperature. It takes lots of willpower but once you do I guarantee you will want to do it again!